Gynecomastia; It is the name given to the growth of the male breast as a female breast. It is a condition in which the male breast grows more than normal due to fat and hormonal reasons.
REASONS TO DO
Dozens of reasons such as hormonal imbalance, liver or thyroid diseases, cirrhosis, a number of medications used, drug use and some types of cancer can cause male breast enlargement, namely gynecomastia. It can be seen in the vast majority of boys in adolescence (13-15 years old), and approximately 70-90% of them spontaneously disappear within 1-2 years and the breast returns to its normal size. The reasons for doing it can be listed as follows:
- Swelling, pain and tension in the breasts
- Physical and mental discomfort caused by the growth of the breasts
- Patients at risk of breast cancer
This operation can be performed from the end of the adolescence period (17). This operation is not recommended for previous ages because the physiological age is not completed. It will be correct for people under adolescence to wait approximately 2 years before deciding to have surgery. However, the possibility of breast cancer in adult males should be kept in mind and caution should be considered.
What type of gynecomastia is determined by the examination to be performed by your doctor before the surgery. Thus, it is tried to understand whether the tissue that causes your breast to grow is fat or mammary gland. In gynecomastia caused by the enlargement of the mammary glands, the enlarged parts of the mammary glands are removed. If breast tissue is to be removed, there will be an incisive scar around the nipple. It is tried to hide an incisive scar in the colored part of the nipple. Fat removal surgery is performed with liposuction in gynecomastia, which occurs as a result of increased adipose tissue. In people, whose breasts are quite large, it may also be required to apply skin stretching in order to remove the remaining abundance of the skin after the fat is removed.
ANESTHESIA METHOD AND DURATION
Gynecomastia operation can be performed under local or general anesthesia. The type of anesthesia to be applied is decided under the supervision of a doctor, based on your age and breast size. The duration of the surgery lasts an average of 1-2 hours. After having gynecomastia surgery, you can leave the hospital in the evening of the same day or the next day.
After surgery, patients can return to their normal lives the next day. Bathing can be performed 2-3 days after surgery.
POINTS TO CONSIDER AFTER THE SURGERY
- If breast tissue is removed by surgery, silicone drains will be placed in your wound place to drain blood and fluids. These will be removed within 1-2 days after surgery. This procedure is painless.
- For 3-4 weeks, the corset recommended by the doctor should be used regularly.
- If breast tissue is removed by surgery, blood or fluid may be formed in your surgical area. In this case, these liquids will be drained with regular checks. Since all breast tissues are taken, recurrence is not observed.